Sunday, January 25, 2009

My "To Grow" List

Change is coming. I am not speaking of the "Obama" kind of change, although that is inevitable...I am talking about with in me. It is amazing how you ask God for something and Bam! it smacks you right in the face. I have been dealing with this need for change for quite some time. I did not decide this on Jan. 1st because I am lousy at resolutions. But I knew that it was time and I began to ask God help me. You see I have had this feeling like I am standing still. Like the world is just racing by and I am just stuck. Stuck in my relationship wit the Lord, with my husband, with my children, etc. You get the point. I am the one with the "to do" list (can't live without one) that never gets done. So I run this rat race trying to check off things meanwhile, my girls are growing right before my eyes and I have missed it because I have been trying to check off this and that. Was this and that really that important? I am getting to my point. I was listening to Living On the Edge and Chip Ingram was speaking (love him!). He was talking about people like me and made a very profound suggestion. He said instead of making a "to do" list that I should make a "to grow" list. A list of things that you want to do this week to grow in your relationships with the Lord and the people you love. It makes these things a priority. I can't tell you how it has helped me to focus on what's important and leave the stuff that's not alone. And then more change came about on Saturday when I went to Christian Supply to buy Nick a new bible. I wanted to buy a book. I just wasn't sure which one. I walked in and there was a thousand copies lined on the wall of Dave Ramsey's "The Total Money Makeover" and it was 40% off. I did not dare argue with God so I bought it. So I am on a journey...one that terrifies me...but one I will not regret. So let me close by saying change is good.

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

You grow girl!!! :) I think we could all use a "to grow" list. Oh, and we went to the fish camp this week and I thought about you. ;)

Jon and Steph said...

I'm with Rhonda, we could all use a "to grow" list! I think it's awesome that you are making changes. Way to go!!

Susan said...

That is awesome April! I too need a "to grow" list!

Amy Wallace said...

Just grow with me! D and I took this class at church and it has changed our marriage!!! Not that it was bad but all money matters can be stressful!

Alli said...

I miss Chip Ingram! We don't get him on WMHK here in Columbia! Dave Ramsey rocks...and has definitely been a blessing to our family. Loved this post on growing April. Another thing you can do as you grow is to download pod casts on an iPod by the "mentors" that you read or listen to on Christian radio. I downloaded a conference led by Beth Moore and Christy Nockels on my iPod this week and listened to it while I worked out yesterday. What a blessing!